Thursday, February 4, 2010

How am I eating?

Yesterday I talked about my exercise today I will discuss my eating, The biggest change I have made in my eating habits is I bought a 30 second sand timer, you know the old hourglass style sand timer only this one is just 30 seconds. I take a bite of food and try to chew it slowly and enjoy it, then I flip my timer and wait 30 seconds to take my next bite! Why do I do this, well because I have learned from a young age to eat really fast, I can eat a Double Whopper and Large Fries in less than 5 minutes, then I am buying something else cause I am no where near full! My brain has not recieved the signal from my stomach that I am full, so I eat another Double Cheeseburger and a Hershey pie to fill up. So I found this guy (Paul Mckenna) who says a lot that makes since. One of those things is you have to slow down and enjoy your food so you give your stomach a chance to send the signal that you are full, and your brain learns to listen to that signal again! What do you know it works! I can get buy on a single hamburger and small fries and walk away feeling satisfied!

However I also know that burgers and fries are not my best choices, so I am also cleaning up my diet at the same time, but just small steps. My 13 year old daughter was asking about vegetarians and why they do not eat meat, so I explained that some do it for health reasons but most probably do it for the principal of not eating flesh, and animal rights. So she wanted to know what it was like and I challenged her not to eat beef, figured that was a logical place to start, so we are now over two weeks in to a no beef eating plan. She has struggled on a few occasions, like when they had walking tacos at school and she got hers without taco meat. She said it was not as good, but that she was happy she stuck to our plan, I have also tried to stay away from pastries when they get brought into work. Not saying I will never have one but I need to make sure it is counted if I do.

So how many calories am I eating, yes I am counting and you can check up on my progress at: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=sconner69 any way this first full week of counting I have been pretty low to get a good jump on the whole thing but knowing how that can back fire I need to bring it up a notch or two. So I have used several BMR calculators and my average BMR is 4700 calories a day burned. So based on that I should be eating between 3300 and 3500 calories a day to loose 2 pounds or so of fat a week. I have not been coming close to that! So I need to get more calories in, amazing how if you slow down your eating it makes it hard to get 3500 calories a day in your body but just one short month ago I could have eaten 3500 to 4000 in one sitting at BK!!!!!!

Peace out - Hope everyone has a healthy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment